Thursday, June 23, 2011

Caressed by Ice By Nalini Singh














Brenna Kincaid and Judd Lauren’s book





Caressed by Ice (Psy-Changelings, Book 3)


By Nalini Singh


Book Blurb:
Nalini Singh explores new heights of sensuality, returning to the world of the Psy - where two people who know evil intimately must unlock the good within their icy hearts...

As an Arrow, an elite soldier in the Psy Council ranks, Judd Lauren was forced to do terrible things in the name of his people. Now he is a defector, and his dark abilities have made him the most deadly of assassins - cold, pitiless, unfeeling. Until he meets Brenna...

Brenna Shane Kincaid was an innocent before she was abducted - and had her mind violated - by a serial killer. Her sense of evil runs so deep, she fears she could become a killer herself. Then the first dead body is found, victim of a familiar madness. Judd is her only hope, yet her sensual changeling side rebels against the inhuman chill of his personality, even as desire explodes between them. Shocking and raw, their passion is a danger that threatens not only their hearts, but their very lives...



What a perfect time to have written Caressed by Ice in the Phy-Changeling series. With Slave to Sensation and Visions of Heat having the combo of Phy females to the Cat males and then now switching it up and offering an interesting story about a Phy male and a Wolf female was very well orchestrated. Same story staple but with different dynamics and different dramas made for one hell of an awesome read. I love that this is my third book in and I am still giving straight 5 heart ratings.


Also introduced in Caressed by Ice is a very interesting new character only known as “Ghost”. Nalini is genius to give us that character because it now throws in a mystery element to the turmoil of the PhyNet. I am just dying to know who it is. If you know, don’t ruin it for me! I have my suspicions and it would be totally cool if it was true. I don’t think we are going to find out who this person is for awhile yet. That’s my guess anyways.


Brenna is mentally a bit damaged as a result of her mind rape from now the deceased Phy Enrique. It was heart breaking to read what she went through those long days when she was captured. I am glad we are revisiting her soon so that we can read about her recovery. It was very interesting that the “Ice Man” Judd ended up being her match considering how affectionate the wolf pack is.


How perfect is the name Judd? A one syllable name for a cold emotionless Phy is perfectly suited. I’d bet Nalini went to great lengths to name the character Judd. Excellent. I loved reading all about his abilities and his struggles to disconnect from Silence. The path he was required to take was different from both Sascha and Faith. We had to wait almost the entire book for Brenna and Judd to be an officially accepted mated couple and it was worth every last word.


Brenna’s brother drove me crazy with their protectiveness. At little over the top as its not like she was a teenager. True she went through a lot with her captivity but her frustration was well felt by the reader.


I am glad that they had a villain in the pack. It felt more realistic to not have every changeling apart of a perfect society. Even humans have villains amongst us so it was validated that the changelings can be just as fractured as humans or Phy. Even addiction penetrates close nit societies.


I totally love the direction that this series is going and I have no recommendations on what I would change. I am taking a wee break after this book just so I can read the new Janet Evanovich Smokin Seventeen but then I’m back on track with book 4.



No comments: