Sunday, June 26, 2011

Smokin Seventeen by Janet Evanovich

Smokin' Seventeen: A Stephanie Plum Novel
Smokin Seventeen

By Janet Evanovich

Book Blurb:
Where there's smoke there's fire, and no one knows this better than New Jersey bounty hunter, Stephanie Plum. The bail bonds office has burned to the ground, and bodies are turning up in the empty construction lot.  To make matters worse, Stephanie is working out of a motor home she shares with a dancing bear, and Joe Morelli's old world grandmother has declared a vendetta against her.  And just when Stephanie decides it might be time to choose between the two men in her life, Morelli and Ranger, a third man from Stephanie's past moves back to Trenton...



Smokin Seventeen was better than I thought it was going to be. Well now that’s just a sad way to start isn’t it? Well let’s face it, since Fearless Fourteen I haven’t been loving this series like I used too. I am still committed to the series but what made me addicted to the early books kind of went wayside. I always loved the giggles and out right laughs but the last few books was getting too whimsical for me. I was really hoping that Wicked Appetite would draw that away from the Stephanie Plum series so that Janet Evanovich could return to the series her fans love. 

Thank goodness I think it worked. I really liked Smokin Seventeen. I wanted to read it all in one sitting but as usual real life got in the way so I had to pick it up and read it in bits. But that’s ok. Seriously it was. I was sitting in the doctor's waiting room giggling my ass off. So much so that I had to ask the receptionist for a tissue to dab my eyes. Oh Lula you kill me! Lula was perfect in this book. Not too much crazy but the perfect balance of a scene stealer to a scene mover. It was great.

Since the book was just released on Tuesday I don’t want to give too many spoilers. So let me just say, “Go Vordo!!” and leave it at that…..Ok I can’t do that to you. Vordo is like the next level of Grandma Bella’s “the eye” and it made Stephanie’s libido very active. Wooooot Hoooot! Ok now I’ll back off with the spoilers.

Smokin Seventeen not a difficult mystery and not as deep as her early books *sigh I miss those deeper mysteries* but it was still a very enjoyable read. I will for sure re-read it sometime and I love the “I heart Morelli” and the “I heart Ranger” stickers that came with the hardcover book. I will not hesitate one moment adding “Explosive Eighteen” to my TBR list for November 22, 2011 release!

3 comments:

Sherri Hayes said...

Thanks for the review. I've got this one on my TBR list, but like you, I've not been as excited about the series since Fearless Fourteen. Good to hear this one was more of what we used to love if not as good as the first ones.

~Sherri

Margaret said...

Yay! I'm so happy you enjoyed it. I've been disappointed in the last few too. Your review makes me look forward to reading Smokin' Seventeen.

slehan said...

Good to know it's worth reading. I, too read all the earlier ones and got tired of them so I'll look up this one.