Thursday, September 8, 2011

One Grave At A Time by Jeaniene Frost




















One Grave At A Time

by Jeaniene Frost

Book Blurb:
The grave is one wrong step away.

Having narrowly averted an (under)world war, Cat Crawfield wants nothing more than a little downtime with her vampire husband, Bones. Unfortunately, her gift from New Orleans' voodoo queen just keeps on giving--leading to a personal favor that sends them into battle once again, this time against a villainous spirit.

Centuries ago, Heinrich Kramer was a witch hunter. Now, every All Hallows Eve, he takes physical form to torture innocent women before burning them alive. This year, however, a determined Cat and Bones must risk all to send him back to the other side of eternity--forever. But how do you kill a killer who's already long dead?




I enjoyed One Grave At A Time. I am thankful the fans were given another book and I am super glad that Cat and Bones are really solid.

Let me start my review with my thoughts of Cat & Bones. I just love that although Cat can clearly look after herself, Bones is still her #1 protector and not just in battle. It is really important in a relationship that the spouse defends in verbal battles and provides back up. We saw evidence of that numerous times with Bones this time around and I loved him a little bit more each time. Whether someone is just thinking bad thoughts about Cat  with their mind or if someone verbally berates her, Bones will defend her to no end; even if it is his best friend. I just love that!  
I was disappointed that their sexual intimacy in One Grave At A Time was mostly implied. There was only one intimate scene and I missed that there wasn’t more. I love Cat and Bones and I love to read about their connection. The scene that was delivered was great and creative but I wanted more.

Now I am going to talk about the villain(s). The main villain was a ghost named Heinrich Kramer but nicknamed “The Inquisitor”. He was a despicable character and very easy to detest. You can imagine the difficulty of trying to be rid of something that is already dead and you can't touch it. At first I didn’t care for the villain but I think my issue was more with the lack of secondary characters. Jeaniene Frost has created a cast of amazing secondary characters and they were barely utilized in One Grave At A Time. In fact, it wasn’t until the friends were finally brought in that I recognized what was missing from the story. At first I thought it was the lackluster villain but it wasn’t. I was missing the cast.

There was an introduction of a few new characters. The first new character was Madigan. I was utterly confused with his purpose in One Grave At A Time other than this book was just an introduction and forewarning of things to come. He is completely set up for the readers to dislike him and that was very easy to do. He replaces Don and had Tate demoted so as you may have guessed, he is apart of the military. He is slimy and devious and I am sure we will hear much more about him. Funny that he never hurt anyone in this book but I think I despised him more than the ghost villain.

The other new character was Tyler. He is gay and he added the much needed comic relief with him fawning over the Bones and Ian. Who can blame the guy right? He has great lines and I hope we get much more of him in future books.

One Grave At A Time is not one of Jeaniene Frost’s best Cat and Bones story but enjoyable regardless.

Teasers: sexy flight, knitting bones, hairless Cat, Dragon surprise




6 comments:

Alyssa Nelson said...

Great review! I love this series, and I completely agree with you, Bones is so awesome at being Cat's protector, even though she isn't helpless at all. I have yet to read this book, but I can't wait to get my hands on it! :)

Alyssa
Reader's Refuge

_yay_ said...

I just read the first in the series and loved it. Will keep on reading. Have to catch up ;-)
Thanks for this review!
Oh, & stop by my blog and enter to win a copy (ebook) of the PNR Forever Freed by Laura Kaye: http://bit.ly/ozaJUh
Happy Friday (Germany)

Julie said...

I agree with you. Not the best book, but a good solid one that gave us our Cat & Bones fix. :)

L. blanchard said...

I have to be careful on my blog about saying anything negative about any of the cat and bones books as Jeaniene Frost's fans are SOLID! And I get why, it's a big thing for me too, to not have to wonder from book to book, who the hell the MC is going to hook up with, is she going to be with Hero A or Hero B or maybe a new Hero will be introduced (a factor that drives me nuts in my much beloved Hallows series). So I love that Bones and Cat are together and that is that and they are sexy! But I have felt a little something was missing in the last book so I was concerned about this one. Oh well...a cat and bones fix is always welcome, but it sounds like the book could have used some of the magic that the background characters provide.

Jamie said...

Great review. I felt the same way about this book. It was enjoyable, but not the best in the series. I am looking forward to Vlad's books, though ;-)

latishajean said...

Thanks for the great review I love cat and bones I too felt something was missing in this book! I look forward to the next books with Vlad in it and bones and cat!