Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon




















The Fiery Cross


By Diana Gabaldon


Book Blurb:
The year is 1771, and war is coming. Jamie Fraser’s wife tells him so. Little as he wishes to, he must believe it, for hers is a gift of dreadful prophecy—a time-traveler’s certain knowledge. Claire’s unique view of the future has brought him both danger and deliverance in the past; her knowledge of the oncoming revolution is a flickering torch that may light his way through the perilous years ahead—or ignite a conflagration that will leave their lives in ashes. 


My Re-Read Review of The Fiery Cross


The Fiery Cross was a re-read for me. Originally I read it in 2010 and the entire Outlander series never really leaves my mind. I was really looking forward to this particular re-read of The Fiery Cross because I had originally rated 4 of 5 hearts . Looking back, was I crazy? The Fiery Cross is definitely worthy of a 5 rating without a doubt. 


I highly recommend re-reads. I do remember I was like a savage reader of this series in 2010. I was so desperate to read as fast as I could and to fit as much Jamie and Claire into my day as possible. This time around in 2012, I know how everything ends so I was much more paced and I just really sat back and enjoyed each chapter. I absorbed more of Jamie and Claire's daughter, Bree and her husband, Roger's scenes and I found myself much more interested in reading about the Gathering. 


The Fiery Cross starts off at the yearly Scottish Gathering. I remember thinking the first time around, 'when is this Gathering over with already'. But this time I paid much more attention to the names of the secondary characters. As many of these characters make repeats later in this book and I recalled them much more clearly. I also paid attention to some of the subtle hints that were placed on some of the secondary characters for future book plots. 


The Fiery Cross also marks off the beginning of the militias and ignites the  sparks that later fueled the American Revolution. Once again I am reminded that the first time I read The Fiery Cross I was not really having much interest with the American Revolution (as I am Canadian) but since Diana Gabaldon places so much historical accuracy in her books, I found my eyes glued to the pages this time. For fun I used Wikipedia to see if some the characters she was writing about really existed. (as I mentioned I'm Canadian and we focus on Canadian history in school) I did find Herman Husband and a few others (Governor William Tryon) and I took the time to read more about their bios. I actually found it fascinating. 


There are some memorable and fabulous scenes in The Fiery Cross. As usual Diana Gabaldon delivered a kaleidoscope of emotions. Here are some of my favourites without too much of a spoiler. 

  • I laughed out loud when Claire finally built her  microscope and she tried to have a medical discussion with Jamie. "So what ye've got there is broth that the mold has pissed in, is that right." Not to mention the most fabulous sperm discussion. 
  • My heavy heart at the mention of Ian. 
  • The warmth I felt for Jamie and Claire's love for each other. "Tell her...I meant it."
  • The gasping of my breath with Roger's misfortune



I also found I paid much more attention to the descriptions of Jamie and Claire's big house. I picture a different whitewashed residence than I previously did and the layout of the farm is placed differently in my mind now. I have a completely different view of Jamie's aunt Jocasta's house too. 


One thing does remain completely the same for me on this re-read of The Fiery Cross. The last last line of the book is still the best of any book I have ever read. 









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the last line! So perfect!

I was never really bothered by the 'endless day,' but I know a lot of people found it off-putting. As you pointed out, it really sets up the whole book.

Glad you liked it better the second time around! :)