Saturday, April 14, 2012

Wild Wild West by Charlene Teglia















3 short stories of 3 separate couples





Wild Wild West

By Charlene Teglia

Book Blurb:
In one of the most searingly erotic novels ever penned, Charlene Teglia breaches uncharted territory.  But reader beware: this tale is hotter than hell.  The faint of heart should turn back now…

 Three sexy city girls from Seattle are enjoying a night out at a chic coffee house in downtown Missoula, Montana, the heart of the old West.  When a gang of cowboys mosey in looking for trouble, they find trouble of the best kind… and these boys are primed and ready to ride.  There's Gabe, the hard-bodied rancher with a wicked imagination.  Chet, the rodeo cowboy who's charmed the pants off more than a few country girls and vows to remain a bachelor for life.  And Reuben, the former Army ranger with a taste for edgy sexual games.  As the couples embark on a scorching night of passion and play, they experience the most exquisite pleasure--and discover kinky new thrills they never dared to imagine.  Because when it comes to knocking boots, cowboys do it best…







One of things that drew me to Wild Wild West was the book quote "In one of the most searingly erotic novels ever penned...". Once I finished Wild Wild West I immediately went right back to the book to see who the heck provided that quote and noticed that it was not a quote at all but rather just part of the book blurb. Wow that was deceptive. I think that quote really leads the reader to certain expectations and then as a result once the book is completed, disappointment. I'll talk a bit more about that in a second. 

My other major draw to Wild Wild West was the cowboy lure. Yes I do have a weakness for cowboy and highlander stories. I admit it. But honestly, these 3 male protagonists could have been doctors, teachers or auto mechanics. The only thing that made them cowboys was that they wore the Stetsons, boots and lived on ranches. I once again felt a bit of disappointment. Very little of the story was actually about the ranch or their occupation. Not even bit of a drawl or a tiny slipped in 'darlin'. I don't like forced, "y'alls" but there was nothing to distinguish these guys as cowboys. Oh wait, they lived in Montana. 

Wild Wild West is three separate stories that run parallel  to one another. The three women are friends and the three men are friends. Their stories only slightly overlap which was great because you do get three separate stories. 

Story One
A Man's World is His Bondage - Gabe & Willow's story
Hot title right? Gabe is a man of few words. He is a teacher and a rancher. Oh yes, he knows Byron's poetry word for word. He meets Willow at a poetry reading at a coffee espresso house and they have an immediate attraction. They decide to hook up and Gabe has a bit of a kink with ropes. Their sex is actually quite vanilla except that he likes her tied up. He constantly says exactly what he is going to do and then does it. His dialogue consists of, "I want to..." & "I'm going to..." 
Gabe is not much of a talker. I did like the strong silent type vibe he gave off. He had a sexy commanding presence. I don't think I could have tolerated and entire book of Gabe and Willow so this short story was a great premise for this couple. 
Teaser: Favourite scene involved a porch swing. 

Story Two
Ready to Play - Chet and Jolie's story
Of the three stories I may have liked Chet and Jolie's the best. After reading a mostly silent Gabe, Chet was rather a chatter bug. 
Their sex was really vanilla with no special props but very very constant.  I am not quite sure how realistic Chet and Jolie's encounters could have been in the real world but they were fun. 
Teaser: Favourite scenes was their first encounter in a truck and at a dance.  

Story Three
Reuben's Rules - Reuben & Laura's story
I would have thought that the best would have been saved for last but I was beyond disappointed with this last story. Due to the misrepresented book quote, and a little spoiler in the previous story that Laura was wearing a collar, I thought Reuben's Rules was going to be the smoking hot story here. This last story would not even be fair to say it was a D/s story let alone a BDSM or the leather play that was indicated. So what Reuben liked to be in control? That doesn't mean a collared relationship. It wasn't even a fantasy D/s story. I think I may have liked Reuben's Rules if Charlene Teglia had left out the BDSM and collar thing. It was just so much of a reach and tease that I was just mad when I finished. 
Also, how does a sheep farmer just take off to Hawaii for a weekend? Again a huge reach. It should have been explained.
Teaser: Favourite scene was actually the beginning of the story when Reuben reached over Laura to a high shelf to get a bag of coffee beans for her.  


What I did like about Wild Wild West was:
  • The female protagonists were great women who knew what they wanted and went for it. They were not inhibited and readily gave their trust and themselves over. They honed in on their instincts and listened. Yep, I'm a fan of kick ass chicks. 
  • The idea of 3 short erotic stories that combine friend's lives with a slight overlap. I've read a few stories like this and I really like them. 
  • I did like that even though Wild Wild West is listed as erotic, there was plenty of references to condoms. There may have been a bit too much of the constant reference but it was good to read that erotic doesn't mean to be careless. 




My beefs with the stories and my reasons for awarding Wild Wild West a 2 (Okay) rating. 
  • I did not like the fake quote that completely misrepresented the book. 
  • The amount of the sex the couples had just wasn't realistic. A dude cannot go that many times in one hour. 
  • Super light (if it can even be considered) D/s story that was misrepresented. 
  • The cowboys were just an occupation that is guaranteed to draw in a certain genre of readers but there was really nothing in Wild Wild West to actually substantiate the cowboy love. 
I would recommend Wild Wild West to someone just starting out with romance erotica. Wild Wild West is not really outrageous or deeply erotic. Yes there is lots of sex but large and part, it is very tame. 





No comments: