Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lucky in Love by Jill Shalvis














Mallory Quinn and Ty Garrison's book








Lucky in Love


Jill Shalvis


Book Blurb:
Mallory Quinn has had enough of playing it safe. As a nurse and devoted daughter, she takes care of everyone but herself. And as the local good girl, she's expected to date Mr. Right. But for once, she'd like to take a risk on Mr. Wrong. And who could be more wrong than Ty Garrison? The mysterious new guy in town has made it clear that he's only passing through, which suits Mallory just fine. Besides, his lean, hard body and sexy smile will give her plenty to remember once he's gone...

For the first time in his life, Ty can't bear to leave. Helping this sexy seductress-in-training walk on the wild side is making him desire things he shouldn't -- including leaving the military for good. As their just-for-fun fling becomes something more, Mallory and Ty wonder if they could really be this lucky in love. After all...anything can happen in a town called Lucky Harbor.





LOVED LOVED LOVED Lucky in Love


I totally fell in love with the first three books of the Lucky Harbor series. In fact, I rated them the "Best Series" on my 2011 Best Of recap. I wasn't nervous about the next books in the series coming out per say; it's just that I absolutely loved Simply Irresistible, The Sweetest Thing and Head Over Heels so much that I was wondering just how on Earth Jill Shalvis could match the love I felt for those books. Well she did. Lucky in Love is a witty, smart and a spectacularly enjoyable read. 


Mallory is adorable. She is someone you'd want as a best friend. Just being around her makes you want to be a better person. She sees the best in everyone and looks for humour to loosen tense moments. Her career as a nurse is extremely fitting to her character. 


Ty is lickable & delicious and with just enough of a sad past to make him fall into the tortured hero bucket. He is not lolling around in a world of self pity though. Ty is trying to heal himself and he is just going about it wrong. He is trying to do it alone. Grief combined with a prescription drug addiction while still trying to fight off the pain of a healing traumatic leg injury needs support & love of friends and loved ones to help guide past the darkness. 


Ty is drawn to Mallory and Mallory is drawn to Ty like a magnet to metal. Someone needs fixing, and Mallory is the fixer. I saw this picture below that Jill Shalvis posted on her Facebook page and it captures Mallory and Ty so vividly that feelings it gave me provided the incentive to buy the book sooner rather than later. Is it not beautifully telling? 




I swear, this IS Mallory and Ty. Right down to Mallory's messy pulled up hair. 


Ty is not really a resident in Lucky Harbor. He is like a passing ship in the night. Yet for a man who is not a permanent resident, on Mallory's behalf, he sure trips himself up as he gets involved into the community. The Lucky Harbor Facebook page hasn't seen as much action since the first three couples in the series. Speaking of which, you absolutely do not have to read the first three books of this series to be caught up. Lucky in Love could very easily be a stand alone (but you'd be missing out on some wonderful books)

I loved these little bits:
"So I guess that the next time I make a date with a concussed guy, I should pin a note to his collar so he doesn't forget."

and

"Mallory, those shoes aren't meant for working on a car."
"What are they meant for?"
"Messing with a man's head."


The heat in Lucky in Love is mild and that completely suits the book's style. The build up for Ty and Mallory to realize that they have fallen in love is the center stage. I reach for this Lucky Harbor series as comfort reads. I will re-read these treasures for years.



Teasers:  good girl gone bad, chocolate cake basically cures everything, attic storage area sex agreement, bad girl shoes




5 comments:

Laurie said...

I agree, I loved this book too. I read the first three (thanks for the rec, BTW) and knew I'd be buying the next three. The book was funny, sexy and highly entertaining. I am a sucker for small towns where everyone is in each other's business. From the blue haired posse to Mallory's friends to the other hunky guys that inhabit Lucky Harbor, I fell for all the town's folk.

Unknown said...

Great series and now that I have met the author, I can safely say that Jill Shalvis is awesome too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
Just wanted to say thanks again for the book you donated for my library and to let you know that I wrote a blog about your kindness -- put in a link to your blog too.

Kym Lucas
http://kymlucas.wordpress.com

Margaret said...

Another winner for Lucky Harbor! :)

Julie said...

I am due to read this book soon. Can't. Wait. Great review! :)