Saturday, August 18, 2012

Somewhere I'll Find You by Lisa Kleypas

















Julia Wentworth & Lord Damon Savage's book 



Somewhere I'll Find You (Capital Theatre #1)

by Lisa Kleypas

Book Blurb:
The toast of the town...

All London is at Julia Wentworth's feet—and anything she desires is hers for the asking. But the glamorous leading lady guards a shocking secret: a mystery husband whom she does not know, dares not mention ... and cannot love.

For years Damon Savage has been searching for the stranger his parents wed him to without his consent, hoping to legally free himself from matrimony's invisible chains. And he is astonished to discover his "bride" is none other than the exquisite lady he'd hoped to make his mistress! But though his wife by law, Julia will never truly be Damon's—until he conquers her fears, his formidable rivals ... and her proud, passionate, and independent heart.



Originally Published 1996
Well I must say that this is a first for me. There actually exists a Lisa Kleypas book that I am not crazy for. Somewhere I'll Find You just fell flat for me. It took me a few days to read it because I just piddled through it without much gusto. First time ever that has happened with one of her books.
The idea of the story was captivating enough but the characters, Julia and Damon were an utter bore. The secondary cast did nothing to enhance the story either. Damon came across as a clingy desperate man that held little appeal to me and Julia with her naive decisions just made me roll my eyes. 
With a theater as the back drop for the storyline, I thought I would be immersed into the story as I really hadn't read much in the way of historical theater stories. It intrigued me. I liked the idea of an actress being the lead of a story in a historical setting and I liked the idea of a hidden marriage. However the two just didn't mix. It struck me as odd that these two were forced to be married as very young children by their parents but then never saw each other afterwards. 
First it was just basically creepy about the marriage to begin with but then how the story itself was all carried out afterwards just didn't sink or become believable. Years later when they finally found each other and confronted the situation, their behaviour towards each other contradicted everything they said to each other. Damon ultimately fell madly in love rather quickly and almost immediately thrust forward with the "I love yous" and "come away and be my real wife" and oh by the way, drop everything you have worked for to hold this coveted theater position to be my wife. All this without even giving Julia a chance to weigh her options. 
I guess for me it simply came down to characters and the silly plotline. Unfortunately Somewhere I'll Find You just didn't work for me like other books  Lisa Kleypas  has wrote.  Fortunately there are dozens of Lisa Kleypas books I am utterly in love with.
Teasers: Child marriage, fake pregnancy by lover, theater fire, secret visits with mother 


2 comments:

Angie said...

Wow, so Lisa Kleypas can write a bad book! This one does sound like a mess, but I'm oddly intrigued. I'm slowly working my way through her books, so I'll likely end up reading this one anyway.

Unknown said...

Shocking I KNOW! Ms Kleypas is one of my all time favs so it pained me to rate so low. Good thing she has a huge back list and almost all of them 5 stars!.