Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter














Danika Ford and Reyes, Lord of Pain





The Darkest Pleasure (Lord of the Underworlds book 3)

By Gena Showalter



Book Blurb:He can bear any pain but the thought of losing her...
Reyes is a man possessed. Bound by the demon of pain, he is forbidden to know pleasure. Yet he craves a mortal woman, Danika Ford, more than breath and will do anything to claim her—even defy the gods.

Danika is on the run. For months she's eluded the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors who won't rest until she and her family have been destroyed. But her dreams are haunted by Reyes, the warrior whose searing touch she can't forget. Yet a future together could mean death to all they both hold dear..

I think I am done with the Lords of the Underworld series. The Darkest Pleasure was the last book in my Kindle bundle deal and I'm actually glad it didn't extend past book 3. 

Where I was intrigued by the storyline, the writing just wasn't the style I enjoy. The constant over-the-top exaggerations were too much for me.  

I did like Danika's storyline and the process on how she came into her powers. I did like the Greek mythology twist as well so it really did just come down to the writing style. I skimmed more in The Darkest Pleasure than I did in any of the other 4 books I read and I think it was because I was just anxious for it to be over. 

Reyes was the hero in the story and his title was the Lord of Pain. Whereas he definitely represented the emotion of pain really well, I just didn't like the whole idea of cutting one's self for pleasure. I totally understood why he needed to do it, I just didn't like it. I did like that the author stayed true to the fact that Reyes was the Lord of Pain and that his demon's personality didn't just magically disappear or become soft just because it was his book. I just didn't like reading about self mutilation. Not my thing. 

I did like the side stories that took place throughout each of the books but not enough to incent me with purchasing and continuing forward with the rest of the series. 

Teasers: boy demon is actually a girl demon, Paris' big decision (just didn't get why it was such a big decision as it should have been a no brainer for me), leader of the Hunter's revealed




No comments: