Sunday, November 4, 2012

Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward















Tohr and No'One's book



Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood book 10)

By J.R. Ward

Book Blurb:Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment has been a heartbroken shadow of the vampire leader he once was. Brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel, he fights again with ruthless vengeance, unprepared for a new tragedy. Seeing his beloved in dreams—trapped in a cold, isolated netherworld—Tohr turns to the angel Lassiter to save his former mate.
The only way to rescue her is for Tohr to love another. As war with the lessers rages, and a new clan of vampires vie for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between an unforgettable past and a hot, passion-filled future. But can his heart let go and set all of them free?


Well done J.R. Ward. Well done. 
There over 17,000 reviews on Goodreads so here is a review that is not going to add a whole bunch of insight that hasn't already been shared. Just some thoughts and opinions. 

When Lover Reborn was released, I was tempted to run out and get it right away but I held back. Mostly because I didn't want the hardcover (because it wouldn't have matched my other BDB books) and I refused to pay the crazy $10.41 price tag on Kindle. So I avoided spoiler reviews and I avoided the excited tweets. It was killing me but I was determined to wait for the mass market paperback release. My plan was to wait for it to come out and then I'd hide away and read it all in one sitting (if I could). Well that was this weekend. 

Going into Lover Reborn, I honestly didn't know what it was going to be about other than I knew it was going to focus on Tohr and No'One. I'm still spinning about the No'One and Xhex connection so I was totally ready to read more about that. Well there really wasn't too much more of a story line between Xhex and No'One but was offered left me completely satisfied. I don't think I needed chapters and chapters about their sequel. I think J.R. Ward did a great job of merging their stories and setting forth a great future. I am pleased. 

There were so many side stories within Lover Reborn that it makes for a really big book. 627 pages in the paperback to be exact. So if it was so long, why did I want it longer? Because I am an addict and I can't get enough of this band of brothers. I would have read 627 more pages with ease. 

Xhex and John Matthew
Not all is well with their newly mated status. John frustrated me but I understood. I thought Xhex handled the situations dealt to her perfectly and I ended up liking Xhex even more in this book than I already did. You go girlfriend! Most of the heat in Lover Reborn is from this couple. 

Saxton/Quinn/Blay
Oh man their book cannot get here fast enough. I've seen the new cover and the buzz is already in full force about their story. I just may have to break down and buy the Kindle version of their book because I am anticipating it so much.

Quinn/Layla
WOW. I kind of thought it was a bit selfish of them to try and bring forth a new life when they weren't really committed to each other. It really isn't even that that bugged me. It's more that they had a need to create a young just so that they'd have someone to love and care for. It bothered me but it does open the door for a super great story in the future. Oh the complications this coupling is going to cause!

Xcor/Throe/Layla
Where the hell is J.R. Ward going to take us with this story? I totally haven't a clue but Lover Reborn sure has a solid cliffhanger just left dangling for us BDB addicted fans. 
I am confused with the storyline of Xcor wanting to be king. How can he be king? I can understand the fighting to overthrow a royal line and to do away with royalty all together but how can he think he can just become a king? What am I missing?
Also, if the glymera were so harsh on Quinn just for having mismatched eyes, how could they possibly want to have someone with a deformity as Xcor to be a new king? Maybe Xcor doesn't get that yet. 

Tohr/No'One/Lassister
I love the symbolism of the seasons in Lover Reborn. With Tohr being in mourning for so many books, it was awesome to see that he wasn't all of a sudden cured just because No'One came into the picture. The entire relationship between Tohr and No'One was really well written and held an excellent pace. I have nothing but praise. I am also very pleased that we will see more of Lassister too. 

So I guess I need to hang on until April for the next book. I can't wait. I really loved this Black Dagger Brotherhood book. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked this one too, but I did get tired of Tohr treating her badly at times... Overall though, I thought she did a good job with their story, and like you, I'm excited to see where she takes the whole Qhuinn/Blay/Layla thing.