Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews














Kate Daniels World book 1
Andrea Nash's book




Gunmetal Magic

by Ilona Andrews


Book Blurb:After being kicked out of the Order of the Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea's whole existence is in shambles. She tries to put herself back together by working for Cutting Edge, a small investigative firm owned by her best friend. When several shapeshifters working for Raphael Medrano--the male alpha of the Clan Bouda, and Andrea's former lover--die unexpectedly at a dig site, Andrea is assigned to investigate. Now she must work with Raphael as her search for the killer leads into the secret underbelly of supernatural Atlanta. And dealing with her feelings for him might have to take a back seat to saving the world... 



First off, that is a rocking cover! I totally pictured Andrea just as the model appears. I soooo love when the cover models matches my imagination. 

I finished the Kate Daniels' books from her original series, paused for a day and then craved more so I went back to see what else I could get from Ilona Andrews. This Amazon search is when I saw Gunmetal Magic and decided to immediately "click to buy". Well it was a no brainer really. I must quickly add, if you have not read the Kate Daniels' books first, I really think you will be lost here. 

I liked Andrea enough in the Kate Daniels' books so I wasn't hesitant at all to read a full length story. I have to say though, I think I liked her more in the Kate Daniels' books than in her own story. I found that there were so many times that she annoyed the absolute hell out of me. One good thing though, reading Andrea in Gunmetal Magic is not like reading a cloned Kate. For that I was really happy. I adore Kate far too much to have Andrea be just like her. Speaking of Kate, she and Curran are in Gunmetal Magic but only for a few short scenes. Make no mistake, Gunmetal Magic is all about Andrea.

There are times where Andrea was just too (looking for the right word here)...tough?? But not naturally tough. It seemed forced or like she was constantly trying to prove herself as a bad ass. "Watch me boys while I show you how to properly intimate a human." That was a total impression I got. I did roll my eyes a few times as well. 

Raphael, thankfully is back! He is still a spoiled man and he still comes across as feeling entitled but not in a way that drives me crazy.  It's just who he is. He doesn't frustrate me at all and he helped deliver lots of smiles for me. I was very appreciative of those smiles because Gunmental Magic didn't have too many of the funny quips that Kate's books deliver. In fact, I didn't even tag, highlight or save any quotes or bookmarks. Not to say there weren't a few *cough* purple carpet *cough* memorable scenes but I would have loved more. 

The secondary characters in Gunmetal Magic are as usual absolutely fabulous. I am really digging the young were-hyena, Asciano. I love that Ilona Andrews has a great mix of ages and ethnicity in her stories. I enjoy them all. 

I was really surprised that Roman came back in this story. Now him, I adored. He is supposed to be a badass in a robe with all his dark and evil magic but I can't help but love his personality and jokes. His comebacks are awesome and he just fits so well in this world. I would love to see him get his own book some day. I think the Roman scenes were my favourite in the entire book. 

So despite that Andrea didn't rock my world I did love the story, the snake investigation, the bits that we were teased with Kate & Curran, all the secondary characters were awesome and the ending was climatic and fabulous. 

Teasers: story of Gods, snakes, mythical creatures, battle a giant





No comments: