Sunday, October 6, 2013

Fifth Grave Past the Light by Darynda Jones


















Charley Davidson 




Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson book 5)

By Darynda Jones

Book Blurb:
Charley Davidson may not look like your everyday, run-of-the-mill grim reaper, but she has vowed to reap grimness wherever she goes despite this unfortunate fact. Sadly, she gets sidetracked when the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, moves in next door. As he is the main suspect in her arson case, she is determined to stay away from him until she can find out the truth. According to her therapist, however, she lacks conviction. 

When dead women start appearing in her apartment - lost, confused and terrified beyond reason - Charley has no choice but to ask for Reyes's help, especially when it becomes apparent that her own sister Gemma is the serial killer's next target. With his ability to observe incorporeally, surely he can find out who's responsible. And even if he can't, he is the one man alive who could protect Gemma no matter who or what came at her. But he wants something in return: Charley. All of her - body and soul. And to keep her sister safe, it is a price she is willing to pay…




It is pretty safe to say that Darynda Jones' Charley Davidson series are among my most favourite. I just adore Charley, her bestie Cookie, her uncle Ubie and well just about every other character along the way...dead or alive. 

I was so excited that when book 5 came out. I waited for the perfect time to read it. I read it so quick, devoured it and then went into a bit of a withdrawal knowing I'd have a long wait for book 6 so I just ended up doing a re-read of the entire series...again. 

I went back to book 1 and read straight through the series including another re-read of Fifth Grave Past the Light. Well I'm still pinning for book 6 but I am happy I got a good fill to hold me until then. 

As each book progresses along, we learn right along with Charley what she is capable of and we all fall more in love with Reyes with each book too. Reyes is so in love with Charley that it makes me smile every time there is an interaction between them. We also learn more and more about the Son of Satan too. Still lots of mystery there to under cover. 

Each of the books had a great mystery to solve. I have to admit that when her apartment was full of all the ghost women, it was very creepy and disturbed. Those poor women! 

In Fifth Grave Past the Light we are given a lot more foresight of what is to come courtesy of the newly informed P.I. Garrett Swopes. Her investigator friend, Swopes, sure provided a lot of background too. I actually highlighted this piece because I think it is a great indication. 

"According to his prophecies, you will recruit a warrior, a scholar, a prophet, gatekeeper, a warden, and a couple of other figures"

Well we know that her precious ghost rottweiler, Artemis will more than likely be her warrior since she can kick demon ass and perhaps the newest character, Nic could turn out to be the prophet but as you can see, lots of Charley Davidson goodness to come. Can't wait!

Teasers: Ozzy GPS, Sticky note messages, Royal Daughter of Light, one million dollar bet for double or nothing




 

No comments: